14 October 2009

Excerpt from Eating Animals - Jonathan Safran Foer

This weekend, the New York Times magazine commemorated all things food in a special Food Issue. Included is an essay from one of this generation's finest authors, Jonathan Safran Foer. (He's the author of Everything is Illuminated. I stumbled upon him years ago when he penned a piece for Real Simple magazine. It was a piece so moving that I cried - a feat which never happens when I'm reading. Like, ever. I knew Safran Foer was something special.)

Safran Foer knows his place on this planet. His boots are finally stuck in the mud of his past; his lineage, his self seeping into every story he tells. He is, in fact, one of the finest storytellers I know.

I so look forward to his newest book, Eating Animals, which is set to release in November. Here is an excerpt from the book that appeared in the NYT mag. If you're not already registered with the NYT, you'll have to do so - but it's absolutely worth a few moments of filling out a form to read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment