25 August 2009

Summer's Swan Song: Fresh Corn Chowder


Yesterday might have been it. The sun shone brightly, the warmth creeping across my face as it streamed through the windows. Fresh corn sat on the counter. But there was a tinge in the air of things to come -- fall, specifically.

All good things have to come to an end, but it pains me nonetheless to see summer go until next year. Especially this one. It's been a doozy.

The one bright spot of the turn to fall is that fresh corn -- growing earnestly all season long on its stalks -- is now ripe and sweet and ready for enjoyment.

And enjoy it we did in this fresh-corn chowder recipe. It was absolutely smashing -- a perfect combo of sweet (I didn't char the corn, as I wanted to retain the kernels' sugars), a hint of spice (I used dashes of hotsauce rather than those fiery chipotles in adobo), and a more than pleasing texture (crisp, bursting nuggets of corn encased in a creamy, comfort-food stew). (Oh, for anyone veggie out there wondering about the bacon, Morningstar's faux bacon is a wonderful substitute!)

If summer's going to go, I want to send it off with a bowl of this chowder.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I have to try this - sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um that sounds amazing...I'll have to give it a try! Drooling...

    ReplyDelete