18 June 2009

quick catch-ups

In San Diego frolicking in the sun, so this post will be brief!

Last night I tasted blue crab for the first time (At least that I can recall; it's possible I had it as a child while visiting relatives on the East Coast. Mom can step in and correct me!). Heaped atop a Louie salad, it was, in a word, delicious! Nate even swears this East Coast crab is better than Dungeness... I'm not comfortable denouncing my NW roots just yet, but it was awfully tasty. Big chunks atop a crisp, cold salad of greens, cucumbers, avocado,screams summer -- especially paired with a spiffy, refreshing Rose. Followed by a soft-serve sundae in a plastic, mini Padres ball cap at Petco Park...Stayin' classy in San Diego.

Also, about those Trophy cupcakes I mentioned last week... Finally made it to Trophy Cupcakes in U-Village. Oh my! The shop is dainty and darling, with personality bursting at the seams. Lots of dashing white details; very frilly and feminine. I imagine a typical conversation with the perky staff: "My girlfriend is getting married and I'm throwing her a shower and we simply *must* eat cupcakes off china while sipping tea!" If that's your scenario, go for the triple-coconut cupcake: a base of coconut cake stacked with coconut-infused frosting, and topped with layers of shredded coconut atop. It's like landing on a cloud in Coconut Heaven.

Off to the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment